Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Day is Here...

It's been a year since I started working on Barely Contessa!  Wow! It's been a lot of fun and definitely a learning experience.  There're some recipes that I have not yet completed, but I'm going to continue to work on those, and I'll post as I get them finished.  For the most part, if it hasn't been seen on Barely Contessa it's because I already made the recipe prior to starting the blog, I have a strong aversion to making it (chopped liver, etc.), or it was too expensive to justify making (seafood salad, etc.).


Hope you've enjoyed! Here are some things that I've worked on this past week.



Mm mm mmmm.  So good.  This is just awesome pan seared steak with a great sauce with shallots and deep flavor.  Are you proud that I served it with zucchini and not mashed potatoes?! Don't be.  Mac ran out and got some McDonald's fries so we could do the whole "steak and frites" thing.  I think it was the right choice in the end - so good to dip those fries in the sauce from the steak!



I've made this so many times and it never disappoints.  It's a little bit time consuming for a veggie because the onions saute before you add the zucchini,  probably 25 minutes of saute time total, but it's worth it! And parmesan makes almost anything better! 



This is a repeat recipe as well.  It's great for summer because you can use fresh corn and basil and it puts such pretty colors on your plate!  



I think of my friend Jamie when I look at this picture of the potato with sour cream and yogurt goodness basically eclipsing the starchy little nugget. About a sandwich and it's relationship to mayonnaise she says, mid-dip into her container of extra mayo, "I mean, it's basically just a vehicle to eat the mayonnaise...right?" I think the same thing was going on here with the potato!



Okay. Why didn't I make these sooner? They are so fun and easy to make!  You take a puff pastry, put sugar all over it, fold it up, cut it up and bake. Light, sweet, and crunchy = addictive and delicious.  



I will be making this again before the summer is over.  It's a wonderful salad to have for lunch or as a side.  The roasted vegetables are sweet and feta gives a nice bite of saltiness.  The dressing has lemon and olive oil and is just enough to coat the orzo.  Try it!



This salad has already been repeated!  So easy and tasty and perfect for all of the summer tomatoes and herbs.  

1 comment:

  1. Way to go on one year lovie!! It all looks amazing! And those elephant years, they look positively delectable! Yummm!

    ReplyDelete